Saturday 23 August 2014

Free stuff vs clothes....





Regulars will know that I am not big on 'new clothes'. I have a bank account with a debit card which is kind of a black hole.

I just keep handing the card over and do a sharp inhalation of breath as the machine asks for my pin and then exhale with relief when it goes through.  At some point the card stops working, I work some more (or if I'm lucky the husband might contribute), pay it all off and so it begins again.

That's the closest that I have got to debt, I know I am lucky.

Some people are living with student debts (too old for that), multiple credit cards (too disorganised to ever consider a credit card), negative equity or God forbid the Wonga style loans with 1600% APR.  I can't imagine what that must feel like and I do wonder if the blog-world contributes to the feeling that we should be shop, shop, shopping all of the time, buying a lifestyle rather than living it.

I was reading some of my blog favourites and even the ones who used to blog about the small things, the lovely little bits of their lives that are nothing to do with shopping and 'stuff' seem to be gravitating towards only material things and shopping.

And I am as guilty as anyone, I have been marking the passing of time with a quick photo in the morning of my outfit and not really bothering to photograph all of the beautiful things that I see during the day.

This blog started as a means of getting 'Boutique Bootcamp' as the number one Google ranking in natural search and then turned into an interactive diary with a social outlet for chatting to interesting people.  But now it is just a catalogue of what's in my wardrobe.

This is where I am a bit torn, I do like the 'clothes posts' from other people and I suppose we are defined (to a degree) by what's on our backs, so to an extent 'the outfit' gives us a snapshot allowing us to make a quick decision as to whether they are a potential blog companion.
But when it is just the clothes, I think I am going to hold back and not write the post.

I don't want to contribute to someone buying anything ever (not that I would flatter myself thinking anyone would go for my outfits, generally they are a cautionary tale). I still can't quite understand why we all read about each other's lives, but we do,  and shouldn't we make an effort to show that the best stuff, money can't buy?

It was Sian from Blond Polka Dots, that set my mind thinking about this, I loved the images of the deserted beach where she lives, it calmed my soul and made me realise how beautiful the UK is.  I liked her cardigans, but I was more minded to hop on a train and visit the coast, than I was to shop at Hush.

I would love to hear your thoughts (and for a final little bit of irony, I bought the T shirt from my-wardrobe, first piece of 'new/non-sale' clothing for years, on removing the 'my-tag', making it non-refundable, I tore a massive hole in it. Someone is trying to tell me something!)

Some non-shopping stuff from the Summer...this was one of those photos that where I wasn't sure if I was in it, so am hedging my bets with a weird facial expression.
The BIG news (and reason for the pic) is Miss B could be up the duff, either real or phantom, she is showing all the signs. Since she is clearly a tart we don't know who is to blame and await the outcome with interest, if any one would be interested in a Shih Tzu/mystery cross please let me know!

We have invested in some outdoor woodburners to keep the bar b q-ing season a little longer.  The rationale being that it is quite romantic and a couple of stoves are still cheaper than a single night out at a restaurant so if we get 8 extra evenings outside it is a worthwhile investment.


The veg patch was never a thing of beauty, totally my fault since all I planted were some potatoes that had been under the sink too long and had started to grow shoots.  After 10 weeks in the ground this is what we got.......



It was quite exciting hunting them out as they seem to grow totally randomly in the ground, not directly under the leaves.  And the odd thing is they came out like this, I didn't wash them, the soil was so dry in the hot weather that it just dusted off.

And the best bit of the Summer, was all of the friends that the kids made on holiday, we have been on 'Bonjour' terms for years, but this Summer something happened, they started talking to each other, playing beach games and the older ones went out on boats and went CLUBBING....God I feel old!

13 comments:

  1. Hi Alexandra, Im glad you like where I live. I have to say that when I look at some blogs the amount of spending on new clothes every time they blog, does make me feel terribly inferior. I hardly ever buy new now unless its something I really need to replace in my wardrobe. The blue cardigan I decided upon from Next is an item that I know I will wear and wear for as long as it holds up. I still have ebay as my first port of call for clothes as I love the fact that hardly anyone else will probably be wearing the same thing when I go out. I also hope to get my first pair of sheepskin slipper/boots this year and hopefully someone will buy them for me from Celtic Sheepskin (the ones in my previous post). My last pair were when I lived in Australia when I was 17 and they were genuine 70s Uggs and they lasted a long time.
    Love your house and garden. Its just sooooooo "English" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O and please don't stop blogging. I love seeing you in your "own" clothes and the way you put them together. The ones you have collected over the years and your ebay purchases. They are what really inspires me.

      Delete
    2. I read a quote from the bible (Matthew) along the lines of 'Where your treasure is, there your heart is', I don't want my treasure to be in my wardrobe and if my blogging should reflect that!

      Delete
  2. I think the fashion blogging market has become saturated and so the blogs that stand out for me now are the ones that inject some personality and lifestyle into them. Ones that just list a whole load of clothes for you to buy are boring.

    Hope you carry on blogging, I enjoy your posts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Straight back at ya, didn't we threaten to meet for a frothy coffee last year, I can't believe that we haven't made it, let's aim to do something when the kids are back at school x

      Delete
  3. I've stepped back from spending this month, a goal I've never achieved before. It feels good. It was hellish at first as the emails dropped into my inbox enticing me with the new season trends but actually I've realised that although my impulse spending rarely results in rubbish (stuff is returned if it isn't right), I don't necessarily need it all. It all feels very greedy doesn't it. So from now on more careful considerate purchases will be made with a set budget each month.

    My favourite posts of yours are when you blog about all the vintage stuff in your wardrobe. I love to hear how long you've had it and where you bought it from in the first place be it back in the 80s or recently on Ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. there's something in the air at the moment, everyone I talk to is a bit 'shopped out' and looking for other experiences,or at least looking for something that isn't about cash or shopping. There is so much on the news about refugees who have nothing, our 'easy excess' seems exactly that, plain old greedy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any blogger worth their salt should easily be able to go on a spending ban and just get creative with what they already have. I feel the pressure sometimes but don't have a big budget and spend mostly on the high street. If that is your garden, it is really beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there is still work to do, but it is getting there, I am a rubbish gardener not sure what's a weed. I am getting lots of inspiration and will spend more time on it over the coming months.

      Delete
  6. Love this post. I just like reading bits and pieces of people's lives. Don't read any pure fashion bloggers. I either read fashion mags where I know it's advertorial or real people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am the same, if I do read any of the 'fashion blogs' it is more to get a glimpse of their lives than look at the shopping recommendations. I discovered Susie Soso yesterday and her blog is lovely, I may even attempt to make the gift bouquets that she made look so effortless.

      Delete
  7. I was one of those that literally shopped the UK out of recession in early 2000.I then moved to Spain, and suddenly clothes went on the back burner for me (in terms of buying something every time I saw something I liked). Now some 14 years later I HATE clothes shopping (how did that happen?) and I find reading purely fashion blogs a little vacuous. Don't get me wrong I love nice things. But it's no longer a "necessity" I have to buy into. I'm not really good at bargain hunting. But I now have the discipline to save for quality rather than quantity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For me it is less about buying too much and more about hoarding a load of rubbish, I have some kind of fear of letting things go, and it is a proper neurosis that I would be full of regret if I got rid of anything. I can rationalise it, but I still can't overcome it.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you and quite happy for some lively debate so feel free to say what you think! ....