Friday 20 June 2014

offline....and eye back on the ball....

The last few weeks have been eventful and included a sojourn in hospital followed by the sort of drugs that make your head spin and not in a good way.

Last week was the BNP Parisbas Tennis event at the beautiful Hurlingham Club in West London.

Rumour has it that the waiting list to join the Hurlingham Club is now 30 years, when I first moved to London, a friend offered to put my name down, the wait list was 7 years, at 20 years old that seemed like a lifetime, I wonder if I will regret not signing up now, may be 30 years will fly by as quickly.



The event itself is quite hard to describe, there is something a little eccentric and uniquely British about it.
It's meant to be all about tennis, but like all proper sport, it starts with lunch for about 150...

The tennis stars are a mix of those who want a warm up for Wimbledon, and the legends who just come for fun.  Each table is designated a player.  We got the biggest 'player ' of all (no necessarily in the tennis sense)....Pat Cash.

I went to have a chat with him and do a photo and.....

'All my clothes fell off' (said in her best Cupid Stunt, Kenny Everett voice)..

 Clearly his mere presence has that effect on women...
 He tried to help me put it back together again (to be honest a little half heartedly)...
Following a beautiful lunch we headed outside to watch a bit of tennis....
 Walking past the Pimms bar, the Lanson Champagne bar, the second Pimms bar....
 You get an idea of the focus of the day...
 The crowd were effortlessly gorgeous...
 And making a bit more of an effort to be gorgeous....


The tennis was spectacular, and so close it was like they were playing at home in the garden....


After all of the physical activity, we adjourned for tea...

 The tea resembled a makeup counter more than food.

The weather was perfect, there was a fashion show and a bit of shopping, it was a perfect day out!

Have you got any exciting plans for the Summer? I will be having a blog catch up now that I have left the land of the bewildered.

12 comments:

  1. Love the hurling ham too and also regret not putting my name down but I never thought I would continue living here...oh well and I never noticed how cute he was! Enjoy the sun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't this weather amazing? Long may it last. The only downside of Hurlingham is the price, I seem to remember it being elegantly disheveled and the annual fee reflected that, now it is an eye-watering £6k a year for a family!

      Delete
  2. I love these typically English events, my favourite are fetes in tiny English villages.
    Hope you're felling much better now and that it's all the past for you now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just been to such an event today, a village open day, literally that, everyone opens their house and gardens to raise money for the church restoration.

      Delete
  3. This is right up my street. It looks wonderful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday I had a total sludge brown day from head to toe, I think of your blog everytime I put on my brown hues.

      Delete
  4. Looks like an amazing event and glad to hear that you are now feeling better xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All is good, but my teeth have gone really yellow from the drugs, I am thinking about bleaching, but have heard that it makes teeth soft and thinner.

      Delete
  5. Tennis used to be my addiction. There is nothing more pleasant than watching a great match, or playing! What a beautiful event, and I hope you are feeling well again!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually it is in the rain, so this was extra special!

      Delete
  6. I'm with Donna (above) That sounds right up my street. What a perfectly beautiful day. Sorry to hear that you've been unwell; hope you're fully recovered at this stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fully recovered, but with more respect for my age and health!!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you and quite happy for some lively debate so feel free to say what you think! ....