Wednesday 22 January 2014

Daylesford Organic and the Chipping Norton Set


I once had a coffee with the editor of the Home and Property section of the Evening Standard.  She told me about the property progress of the people that she wrote for, 'Arrive in London and share a shoe box in Battersea or Clapham with a friend,  get a better job/rich boyfriend and move to a flat in Chelsea, get married and have children buy a house in Fulham, ride the property boom and cash in for the dream house in Chipping Norton.'


Last weekend we went to Daylesford (near Chipping Norton) and suddenly this house journey all makes sense.
 The only way to describe it is heaven.  Funded (at a £4 million annual loss) by Lady Bamford husband's JCB fortune, it's almost a 'not for profit organisation', cheering up the lost and bewildered who are not finding life in the shires quite the bucolic bliss that Country Living promised it would be.

Daylesford is the ultimate reassurance that life in the country can be just as polished as a trip to Harvey Nicks.

There's beautiful kitchenware....


 A food hall with all the essentials....
 I spied one of the chefs preparing the ready-made meals.....


 The lady paying for her cheese at the deli was in head to toe 'country casual' Chanel...
 The 'toy' section comes complete with a real fire...

The Bamford range of clothing and accessories is available in the boutique, the cashmere is stunning, but jumpers are from £900 and scarves around £500, so not for the faint-hearted...


At the back of the boutique is a Space NK style apothecary.....


 Every building at Daylesford is connected with beautiful topiary gardens...



There is a beautiful spa, that I didn't get any pics of as there was some kind of chanting yoga session going on and I didn't like to interfere...




 I wore jeans and a cashmere jumper with a cosy fun fur and Carolina Herrera bag...
 After wandering around for an hour, we went into the restaurant for lunch....







And left with full tummies and a fuzzy feeling that everything in the world, in that moment, was good and peaceful....



16 comments:

  1. It looks lovely but eeek over £900 for a jumper (creeps back in hole). Hope you had a great time x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fab, I read in the paper that it loses £4 million a year though, shows how much cash a company needs to do things really well!

      Delete
  2. I think I will put this on my list of places for our upcoming trip to England. If I have the nerve to rent a car, we will spend half the week simply driving from place to place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cotswolds is well worth a visit, you can see all of the places that the Mitfords frequented and there are some beautiful luxe hotels and spas

      Delete
  3. Looks lovely, my type of place for a some enjoyable window shopping and a coffee. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's perfect for a girlie lunch, I have been many a time for coffee, soup and gossip!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I love that modern country look, every time I go I vow to paint my cottage and furniture in 'greige', but then fall in love with my William Morris and florals all over again

      Delete
  5. It looks very serene and yes wow,to £900 for a jumper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be perfect for you and your 'buying just what you need', it is the ultimate corner shop!

      Delete
  6. All sounds very soothing - on my 'to visit' list! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be right up your street, like the White Company on speed!

      Delete
  7. Doesn't it look just divine, I could see myself having a coffee there, where is it exactly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's near Chipping Norton, off the M40, it is quite a commitment to get there, I go a few times a year but always tie in with seeing friends who live near by

      Delete
  8. It is just as you describe........but lets face it, so ridiculously expensive. Everything there you can get elsewhere for a fraction of the cost if you have an eye and good taste! I suppose there must be a few mega wealthy people who shop there like its Sainsburys.......I did see one young mum with a toddler in tow, with toddler trolley just piling in items like supermarket sweep! Unreal. and definitely unnecessary! p.s great blog though! xx

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you and quite happy for some lively debate so feel free to say what you think! ....