Wednesday 17 December 2014

Courchevel, Megeve, school fairs and a night at the Chiltern Firehouse


I mentioned to the husband that we have never been to Courchevel, he looked at me blankly and said 'But you don't ski and you hate the cold', he didn't actually say 'Spoiled cow' out loud.
He is completely right, snow is a lovely idea in pictures, but the reality is always a little different. At Christmas time it is nice to look at pictures of the snowy destinations, but in truth, I am more drawn to the cosy fires and the juxtaposing of fire and ice than the ice itself.  All these destinations are advertised in the August issues of the St Tropez magazines, so I have this vision of fur clad bikini babes rocking the slopes with music blaring and champagne bottles topped with sparklers.


For the fantasy Courchevel trip I would hang out at the K2, or go old school to Megeve and visit Les Fermes de Marie, sister of Villa Marie in St Trop....



Spot the gold swimsuit in the spa pic, it could live up to expectations...

We headed out to a school Christmas fair at one of the UK's top prep schools. It is a huge school with an enormous and illustrious alumni. Tom Hollander who is now quite an 'A' list Hollywood actor opened proceedings.  My kids didn't go to the school, but it is so vast that we bumped into loads of their friends.



The whole place was teaming with people, it is quite hard to give an impression of the sheer numbers that were there as every part of the school and grounds was being used for the event.

My two spent most of their time paying for balls to throw at the plates. No prizes, no skill, just vandalism, they loved it.
And the pretty young teacher in charge of ball distribution probably helped.  After having visited the wreath making stall and potted bulbs (via sushi and dumplings), we found this room.
In light of the morning's conversation, it made me smile, the days of guessing the weight of the cake or the number of sweets in the jar are obviously numbered...


It was Christmas party time and back to the Chiltern Firehouse.  I wanted to put a bit more effort in this time so tried on a few outfits (this was at 6am before work)

My usual 'easy' Coast dresses are not as flattering since I have gained my 'office bottom'..



The short one is a bit more flattering, but by the end of the day (before a few glasses of fizz) I am  not good with the cold. And anything this short makes me just want to head home for hot tea, comfortable sofa and crap tv....
 I like the top with the jacket, but it's just not for this time of year...


 And so back to my old faithfuls, Valentino lace top, leather leggings and Trevor Bolongaro jacket.

The plan had been to go straight from work, but I had to come home first to do some errands.  These pictures are exactly 12 hours later...



Did you know about the magic door at the Chiltern Firehouse?
I could write about the yummy food and endless bottles of Ruinart, but the best bit was the secret garden accessed through a door that looks like a mirror in the loo...



The courtyard is heated and ROCKING, we made so many friends, we all felt a bit intrepid having found it, so everyone liked to chat and meet new people.  One of whom I followed out at 2.30 in the morning, the picture is a true likeness of my vision by that stage, and yes it is Paris Hilton!

ps Just found this post from Susanne O'Leary, How to fake it in Courchevel, it may just live up to all expectations

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you, I loathe the cold, my kind of skiing trip is 15 minutes on the baby slopes then heading back...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother is a ski fanatic and I always tell him I am not joining him bc I can't spend money to be cold. Not while I live here...but I like the first dress and that's no office bottom! But the Paris Hilton pic is so funny! Did she say her catchphrases???

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do live the glam life! I happen to be a skier but at most ski places I know there are many non-skiers there for the Bogner jackets and après scene. It's a whole new class of cute sportswear (the little down mini skirts are adorable) and you rarely need to venture outside. Don't rule it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Susanne O'Leary here. Delighted you liked my blog post about faking it in Courchevel. I loved it so much I based one of my novels on a stay in a chalet in Courchevel. The most fabulous ski resort in the world, IMO. And you don't HAVE to ski...

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you and quite happy for some lively debate so feel free to say what you think! ....