Monday 23 February 2015

How to keep a house tidy...


It seems the best way to enjoy cleaning is to catch the horrible cold/cough that is doing the rounds, lasts for 3 weeks and has no redeeming features other than inducing the urge to clean.  And I mean really clean, I have scrubbed every inch of woodwork in the cottage, wiped down all of the walls and paintwork in London, even our life-sized baby hippo had a spa day....

I've been meaning to move all of the nick-knacks and put this pair of cabinets to better use for years. Finally all the glasses are in one place and I have deliciously empty kitchen cabinets to put to good use.  Every glass was washed and polished until it shone...

Even the Victorian fruit dishes have found a home which will mean that they will be used rather than just gathering dust...

Here are the nick-knacks, which have been carefully wrapped, boxed and put away...

The dining room now 'works'.  All the glassware and more unusual china is stowed where it can be seen (and therefore used!).

I have a friend coming for lunch on Wednesday and can't wait to try out all my 'new' finds...
As usual there are pink roses in place, hosting at home isn't the same without a sprinkling of roses, this lot were only £5 from M and S.....



 My lunch date is a detail person, she notices everything, so it will be worth going to the extra effort with the table and food...

I started at 8am and at 4.30 stopped for a cup of tea...
 It was my birthday a couple of weeks ago, I'm not keen on presents and so on, but the husband knows me too well, he just gave me a selection of international magazines that I am too mean to buy myself, exactly what I wanted...

I am thinking about some brightly coloured Ikat cushions for the Summer, my pillows need an update, but I am not sure which way to go.  Any suggestions as to what you would do? Naomi can you make me some??

Unfortunately 'tidying up' is like Sudoku in my house, tomorrow I shall start on the bedroom...

The 'uniform' skinny jeans, Vince shirt, Ash Jalouse boots and 'Hermes' bag, no point in fighting it, officially dressed like everyone else in West London..



4 comments:

  1. Feels spring clean! I got beeswax out today and last week. It must be in the air. Feels good though. If you like wonky cushions I am your girl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! i was thinking oka (no offence) i use Pledge, beeswax is the real deal though, I might give it a whirl.

      Delete
  2. We are still in the deep midwinter so I'm letting the dust bunnies keep us warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's been my strategy for too long, i am beginning to wonder if the root of my eternal sneezing was actually a virus!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you and quite happy for some lively debate so feel free to say what you think! ....