Friday 8 November 2013

Twas the night before Christmas....

On Christmas eve we collect up as many random characters as we can and host a cocktail party that starts at about 5 in the afternoon with tea and mince pies, progresses to cocktails and then finishes with tea and mince pies at 3am.
We used to head to the nearby church for the kid's nativity play, but the teenagers are no longer too keen on donning their halos and tea cloths.
Our regulars include an Italian count, a film producer, a lady of the night, a famous interior designer and some lonely bankers along with anyone who is at a loose end on the eve of eves and would like cheery company and buckets of booze.
This year, I was going to up the ante and host more of a Yule Ball, with a black tie dress code, we might head to the midnight mass for a few carols, but the kids would rather check each other out under the mistletoe than carry the star.
I have too many ridiculous dresses to count, but hey, an excuse for another one is always worth a browse, which of these fantasy dresses (courtesy of Asian Rumpelstiltkins) should I go for? And which colour? I am thinking to go for the classic red?  They are all priced around £150-£200.









16 comments:

  1. The second red one is incredible! I went to a dress hire place yesterday, Lordy you have never seen such tat, I had to be polite and try a few on, I think it was a job lot of old bridesmaids' dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the one I have asked for an email me of a close up of the the lace and it is identical. The trouble i, I have such a clear idea in my head of what it should look and feel like and anything else will be a disappointment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a look online for hire dresses btw and they all headline with great brands but then like you say actually stock a load of US bridesmaids dresses, are you too late to do the China route?
      I can lend you one of mine if you like. I have the most amazing purple Atelier Versace one, it was over £3k originally, clearly I didn't pay that! I have so many frocks, but I think I am so much bigger than you in all directions. I can send you some pics, if you let me know styles or looks you want to go for!

      Delete
    2. I think it is too late, the mister is no planning to go on his own!
      I'd never fit in your clothes, you are tiny! That's such a lovely kind offer but rats, remember I'm half your height, I'd need a lady in waiting to carry the bottom of the dress!

      Delete
    3. Tee hee! don' t miss the chance to go to the ball for lack of a dress Cinders! Try finding something on ebay and offering them a hire price, I saw a great Cavalli feather number that has been for sale for months, and it looks on the small side. It is £1600, they'll never sell it at that price, offer to rent it for £200 you never know!

      Delete
  3. I want to come your cocktail party if you dress up like this! Fabulous, love the top two red ones. Was searching ebay last night for a red lace dress for a black tie do I have in Jan ( my best friends 4Oth ) was going to go for a knee length one but I would love to wear a long one...... But sadly I wouldn't get much use out of it. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we're all gate crashing!

      Delete
    2. You are more than welcome, but be warned, it is an odd group who want to booze until 3am on xmas eve!!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like the best xmas eve ever! I love the red but you are so stunning, statuesque and model-like i bet you could so carry the black 2nd to last - which i adore but do not have the height or shoulders for - you do! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A dress that you need shoulders for, I put the black in mainly because it is so amazing, not that it was having serious consideration, but you may have just changed my mind!

      Delete
  5. Alice and I both love the first red dress very much. Sounds like a fantastic Christmas Eve. I am on the hunt for a white tie dress myself. Unfortunately, red is the only verboten color for the ball, but I am now in love with the thought! hmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for the black, I will send you the link it is amazing and so reasonably priced!

      Delete
  6. The second one is my favourite, it's identical to a wedding dress my daughter tried on today but in ivory x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do it in ivory too, the lace sample pic that they sent was in ivory . It works out at about 110 quid, it seems wrong to not really push the boat out on a wedding dress, but friends of mine that did, every time a 'big spend' came up in their married life, kind of regretted the dress.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you and quite happy for some lively debate so feel free to say what you think! ....