Friday 28 February 2014

Firstly I apologise for ANOTHER  clothes obsessive post. I was going to cover my diet cake (cracked it!), but it was so delicious it was all eaten before I had time for pics).
So instead it is more clothes, I realised as all my purchases arrived, in 'the big spend' that I hadn't really been buying for me, more for the person that I thought I 'should' be, in reality none of the items reflected my taste, but I think subliminally I had bought stuff that I knew I could wear a the gym if all else failed.
This week, I went to the most AMAZING sample sale, there is another one on next week at The Music Rooms just behind Bond Street tube, if anyone is in the area GO FOR IT, everything was £10, £20, £30 and £50, but the brands were Iro, Carven, Phillip Lim, Malene Birger, Theory (brands schwands) it's the quality, all beautifully made, heavy silks and detailing stunning workmanship and the same price as Primark/Top Shop.  Whatsmore I found some clothes that are me now (or perhaps the me from a decade ago), not the me that I thought I should be trying to be.  Here is the first haul...


Vince shirt £20! Iro matt sequin leggings £10! Scholl shoes £30!

 Paul and joe wool coat £75 and Hudson wax jeans £40...
 By Malene Birger coat £50


It's a nod to being more modern, but still very much in my regular comfort zone of how I used to dress for the office 10 years ago (minus the sparkly leggings).  Thank you so much to Sian from Blondpolka dots who was brave enough to say 'Don't be ridiculous woman, stick to your own style why are you falling for the hype and marketing?' Her words were a lot more gentle, but the point was similar.

Has any one else gone back to work after time off? Can you adapt or is it natural to look back a decade in your wardrobe choice?

If anyone else is keen on a bargain, the Music Rooms on Thursday March 6th, I think it opens at 11 and finishes at 10ish, it is being run by London Boutiques and I have been told there will be lots of bargains to be had!

PS Lovely Jane Hattat, I  have emailed my brother and asked him to get in touch.
And Cynthia, when you have your schedule ping me a date for coffee in London (I replied to your previous comment).

15 comments:

  1. Hello Alexandra,

    Well, what bargains you snapped up. Far from the clothes looking like they were from a decade ago they look to me as if they will certainly be staples for the wardrobe in the future. One could wear them until they fall apart. Perfect.

    The Malene Birger coat is terrific. She is a fabulous designer whose clothes always seem to be for real women rather than an imaginary maven. A steal at the price and lots of fun in the wearing, no doubt.

    We shall hope that your brother does get in touch and, meanwhile, we look forward to your coming over to our blog to see what we are about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jane
    I can't wait to read more about your adventures, I have been trying to do the 'follow' button, but seem to end up following my own blog. I'm not very tecchie, the last person who should be trying to write a blog. We shall be coming to Budapest soon to visit family and see the dentist (Hungary's best kept secret is their AMAZING dental service...actually their could be a non-fashion post in that..)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....and I am now following you, all on my own, the faceless loser under google, but it seems to be done!

      Delete
  3. I love the Hattatts and so want to come and met you and Cynthia.
    I also adore everything above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I may have been thinking of you when I bought them, this is more Tabitha, the last haul was more slightly aggressive aging fashion victim. You were next on my list to email re Cynthia's London trip, and with out wanting to seem very odd, if you need a bed for the night the boys can bunk up so you have somewhere to stay if it works better with trains, flights etc As soon as I get a date from Cynthia I will be in touch.

      Delete
  4. Wow great bargains. That striped coat, gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, it was a good day, check out the music rooms website for other sales, I may never shop in a regular shop again

      Delete
  5. They are fabulous, loving both coats Paul & Joe and by Birger one. I am luckily I wear a uniform to work so returning to work after after a year off after each baby was easy the main thing was just trying to diet to get back into it!! Your sale haul was very good loving the Joseph leather leggings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i quite like a uniform, makes life very easy, i never moaned about my school one, i didn't like the upper sixth when we could no longer wear it, but couldn't wear jeans to school, i was completely stumped.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous pieces. And the prices would practically justify a plane ticket to London!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you do head this way we are having a bit of a get together with Cynthia and Tabitha from B&P in April

      Delete
  7. Awwwww......thanks for the mention but I was just stating a fact that anyone can see. You have great "style" and it looks relaxed and natural and......well......"you"!!! Love the way you have put these new outfits together. You always inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am late to read this comment, thanks so much and thank you for always being honest, it makes all your comments so much more interesting, as they are real

      Delete
  8. Oh my word - what a gorgeous selection of clothes. I'm quite jealous! Those coats are divine ... in fact it's all divine! I recently returned to work after a few years off and am still trying to get my 'work look' together. It's tricky, isn't it? Luckily, it's not a 'suit & briefcase' environment, so I can pretty much stick to my usual style. (which incidentally is nowhere near as glamorous as your pics above!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have this memory of when i first started working, and there was a lovely girl, no more than a couple of years older than me, she was still wearing giant 80s shoulder pads while we were all in the 'grunge 90s', it sounds really mean, but i don't want to be 'that' person in the office. i'm still not sure what the others really think, i probably still look hopelessly out of date to the average 20 something.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you and quite happy for some lively debate so feel free to say what you think! ....