Saturday 29 March 2014

Amanda Wakeley




On Wednesday night I went to an event at Amanda Wakeley on Albemarle Street, her new store is stunningly beautiful with the most amazing interior design, I thought there would be some great pics of it online, but I couldn't find any that did it justice.



I used to be a regular at Amanda Wakeley back in the early 90s and remember going into the Fulham Road store listening to a lady laughing at how she had accessorised her evening gown with a pair of trainers as she was still in gym kit, and when she stepped out to look in the mirror, it was Princess Diana.
I am not sure when I fell out of love with the brand, but for the last 6 years or so, it stopped being somewhere that I made a beeline for.

There is a new CEO and the lady in charge (apart from Amanda herself) is ex Azzaro, of the flowing statement gown fame.  She is nearly 6 foot tall with thick dark waistlength locks, Amanda is of similar stature with her trademark blonde, they are like a couple of Valkyries and I would imagine will be quite a force to be reckoned with.

AW used to be quite an investment buy, up there with the more expensive designer brands, but in a world where a Top Shop T shirt is £60, the price points seem a little less extreme than other Bond Street fashion stores and the value is superior to either the high street or the big names.  Think some where above Whistles, around Joseph, but the quality is superior to their more expensive neighbours. Everything is made in Europe and the dresses hail from the same factory as Victoria Beckham mainline.

There is a movement away from 'gown dressing' to great leather jackets, perfectly cut trousers and statement bags, pretty much the London lunching ladies uniform.  You could shop exclusively here and and always look a million dollars (literally) and eternally chic.



7 comments:

  1. I love AW! I think like you say it just dropped off the radar especially when Amanda left herself and then there was disorganization and lack of press. But they cut so well and the stitching and details are actually so good that for what they are they are well priced. I actually bought my wedding dress from there and the little details they had were on par with some dresses that were 3 times as expensive. Their tailor was also very quick to fix things unlike other brands ( I know this bc that was the clincher in choosing her over others.) I can't wait for them to make a comeback as I think it is a great British brand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an early collection under new ownership, it's like a restaurant, they are really trying, the quality it impeccable, check it out!

      Delete
  2. O Alexandra, I felt such a pang of emotion when you mentioned Diana. I absolutely adored her as we are the same age with birthdays the same week (God, sound like a mad person here don't I ). I loved her from the very first time I saw her picture in the press and her lovely fairytale story. (I was young, forgive me). How lovely to have seen her after everything that happened. Thanks for sharing this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It struck how sweet and warm and normal she was, I can see why the rest of the Royals just didn't 'get' her, the boys have inherited her ease with people and I think have taught Charles a lot about life, if only she had been around long enough to get to the other side.

      Delete
  3. Loving the bright red, so fresh and striking. I also love the beautiful curved staircase - I want one!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lusting after the snakeskin tote, it is one of those buys that would be forever.

      Delete
  4. Pretty! What a great story about Princess Diana too.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you and quite happy for some lively debate so feel free to say what you think! ....