Monday 16 September 2013

Heading back to Stepford...




I chat a lot to the ladies that I work out with about their motivations for dedicating themselves to a program, and for non-exercisers, however kind we try to be, it always starts with dedication before the enjoyment kicks in.
There is a common thread that runs through the ladies that have newly given up work and are approaching health and fitness as their new project.  But it is largely unspoken and only the brave who are prepared to be completely honest about why they have decided now to start working on their bodies.
There are always easy excuses about why they didn't before; no time, children, the commute etc, but that doesn't really answer the question 'Why have you started now'?
This morning one of my ladies was brave enough to voice the unspoken truth, and as we all took a deep intake of breath, in one statement, she threw us back to the 1950s as if feminism never happened.

This lady is an Oxford graduate, who had a very senior role in a male dominated company, she worked full-time even with 3 children under 7, but when the 4th arrived, it was too much and something had to give.  Ie she is not someone who would have taken what she said lightly and she knew full well the 'betrayal' that her words invoked.

So here it is, (paraphrased), 'When I worked, I was the boss, I earned more than most people that I knew and my role gave me power and prestige.  I didn't 'need' any body in the true sense, (other than perhaps my nanny!).  For the first time in my life I am not defined by doing something successful, be it in my education or my career. 

I feel vulnerable, I know that my husband has more backbone than to disappear with the first hot blonde that crosses his path.  But I need him for the survival of myself and my children and I feel it in a visceral way that is difficult to rationalise.  Aside from looking after him in a way that I never did when I was working, I feel that I need to look the best I can.  When he comes home, there is always something freshly cooked on the table and I brush my hair and put on some lip gloss.  And trust me, as I say it, I know how tragic that sounds.'

But here is the kicker, it is the opportunities that feminism gave us that means she feels this so keenly. Precisely because she broke the glass ceiling, she knows how difficult, demanding and relentless working to pay for the mortgage and support the family is, so ironically she is MORE grateful/vulnerable than the spouse who has never worked or just worked for self-fulfillment and shoe money.  I now fall firmly into the latter category, so what she said hit a chord with me.  I used to be net contributor to the household funds, now I'm a withdrawer.

So have we gone full circle, where we are choosing to become Stepford Wives again for survival?

Have you worked to keep food on the table and then scaled back or not worked at all? Did anything change with the two different lifestyles? Can we say that we believe in the ideals of feminism and behave like this?

Is this too controversial for a blog about exercise and clothes!?!  I would love to hear your thoughts...

17 comments:

  1. I think that's fascinating. I've played both roles, worked and been chief wage earner and been 'just a housewife" ,now, has/did anything change? Hmm, I don't think so, I've always had a really strong sense of self, I am a slouchy mess at home, I'm a rubbish wife who loathes cooking and am stubborn and won't do anything I don't want to do, I'm amazed that anyone married me. I admire the whole Stepford Wife role - if that's what a woman chooses to do, I'd love to be more like that but my sense of self and stubbornness is too all encompassing, I don't think i could do it even for survival - I'd revert to type after a week.
    I think maybe some women do play that role and I can understand why but then how do they keep it up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe that you are a slouchy mess, and I am sure that it is all relative. A strong sense of self is probably the key to everything and I guess I am meeting people during the transitionary period when nothing is settled.

      Delete
    2. Oh no make up, unwashed hair and I wear my prison clothes at home, it never changes and the same old ragged sweatshirt and sweatpants. As long as I can tart myself up when called for I like to ignore how I look the rest of the time.
      Funny, we spoke about this last night over dinner and hubs said "Phew you could never keep that up" How we laughed! That said, it's important for me to keep my body but that's more about my happiness, having been on the other side.

      Delete
  2. I look after my looks because i am predominantly vain and at the same time insecure that i am aging - so for me that is what motivates me and at the same time bores me. I make an effort for my husband in little pressies, good food and making an effort to dress up at times because i love him. I dont feel that pressure but then i still work part time and i still earn so i dont know how i would feel if i didnt but having said all that i am a mouthy, stubborn cow so i guess i have a touch of the tabithas! Dont think there is any point in judging anyone for their choices, we all make them and, as i was once told, you dont have to make someone else wrong to make yourself right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A big factor is probably the 4 children under 7, I can't begin to imagine the extra pressure that a brood like that brings to bear. I am not judging at all, just intrigued as to what motivates people. Does the concept of feminism invite judgement? That's a whole other issue!
















      Delete
    2. Good God, I don't do any of that, I'm going to get left!

      Delete
    3. Oh and I think that feminism today is /should be abut allowing a woman to make whatever choice makes her happy, devoted housewife/ career woman/kids/ no kids.

      Delete
    4. But can we really do that? Ask to be treated with the same regard as men in the boardroom and then decide to flounce home and start baking fairy cakes never to be seen again? I hear women on Radio 4 bemoaning the lack of female chairmen in the biggest companies, but whilst we want to have this home or work choice open to us the idea that as a starting point 50% of companies should have female bosses is statistically ludicrous. So where does that leave feminism?
      (And I agree with you by the way, if I had daughters, the ability to maintain a life where they could make that choice would be my number one life lesson for them!)It's the ideology in its purest sense that intrigues me, is it too deeply flawed?

      Delete
    5. Good question - any dictatorial doctrine which in its old form i think feminism could be would invite judement which i am not for and from reading your post i can see nor are you. I think tabitha has it right it should be about having choices to be exactly who you wish to be, which is what men have always had - or have they? Interesting topic - personally i would quite like to be in bed with someone bringing me tea! xx

      Delete
    6. I agree with "Fashion", if feminism has given us anything its the choice to be whomever we want to be whenever we choose.

      Delete
  3. I personally think all women could do with a touch of the "Stepford Wife" in them. Nothing wrong with keeping yourself looking good for your man, cooking him good meals, keeping the house nice and giving him great sex, though I think the last one should probably come first. I find that living this way definitely gives me the most amazing relationship and a husband who puts me first above all else. You can still have a job and a life of your own but its important to make him feel number one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great that you can say this is such a straight forward way. The fact that I might hesitate to just come out and say the same, for fear of betraying those 70s bra burners seems really odd when I read your comment. Does this mean that there is a role for feminism in relationships or should it just be reserved for the workplace, but is this having your cake and eating it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think that romantic relationships are the same as work place relationships. The way you behave at work is not the way to behave with your man. At home I prefer to let him be the head of the house and all that entails. I think that male/female romantic relationships are best when the masculine/feminine differences are strongest. Don't get me wrong though, Im not a pushover or anything, just that this works best for me. Im also a child of the 60s.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had to come back and read the answers, I am way behind you all but you know what it is, I honestly think he's damned lucky to have me so he'd better stay on his toes, I really do - entitled wretch! I'm definitely the more demanding one in the relationship and he does always put me first so I am very lucky. I agree with what Sian says about the masculine/feminine energy but in our house I'm probably slightly more alpha/masculine than hubs.

    Princess Tabs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back again, lady muck is having breakfast in bed and hubs just said " I'll just pop out and get some cakes in for the painter and decorator" Yep, I'm the husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Princess Tabs you have it completely sorted, your comment re masculine feminine energy really set me to thinking. I spent my life in jobs exuding mega watt masculine energy and yet live with about an Alpha male. I suppose luckily for us since he spent years away doing the most masculine stuff you can imagine, there was never any clash and now I'm adjusting to me being home all the time and him being around more so my friend's comments really struck a chord. What's interesting is that Feminism hasn't been mentioned once, it doesn't really seem to have a place or relevance. I probably just grew up reading too much of Helen Gurley Brown's Cosmo!

      Delete
  8. I guess I didn't mention "Feminism" because woman and men are not equal when it comes to romantic relationships. There needs to be the masculine/feminine difference between men and woman in love. The bigger the difference, the stronger the attraction. At work however men and women should get equal pay and respect for doing the same job. However that been said I have seen that women still want to be treated like women. I always want a man to open doors for me and to appreciate my femininity. I know woman who are staunchly pro "Feminist" and to be honest, they just scare the hell out of me (lol). I and most of my friends would consider ourselves "Feminist" but in a more softer quieter way. I think being a "Feminist" is different things to different women, but there is no right or wrong.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you and quite happy for some lively debate so feel free to say what you think! ....