Monday 2 September 2013

My style rut...

Back in the early 2000s I was sent by my company to do a project for Eve Magazine.  I came from male dominated environment where kindness was considered weakness and time off was for wimps and the unemployed.
Suddenly I was thrown into a world where every thing was lovely.  People brought flowers into work for their desks, the dogs and children came too if the sitters hadn't arrived on time and the permission to work from home was one quick painless, phone call.

I loved everything about the office, how they all supported each other and worked to enhance not just their own lives and positions, but the whole team's. At the beginning the magazine was incredibly successful, I'm not a magazine buyer, I find British Vogue pretty dull (worked there too, very different), and only buy US Vogue September and December editions) and Spanish Vogue December edition.  Everything else I am happy to have edited for me online.  But Eve was different, even though it was thin without the 'thud factor' (200 plus page editions that make a huge bang when you drop them and are full of advertising to support extra editorial pages), I used to read everything in it.  There was always a range of features, mainly based around being happy, being happy with less, being realistic about life, making life beautiful on a budget and having a laugh.  This was the best bit, most glossies take themselves pretty seriously but Eve wanted to make you laugh as well as look nice.


The queen of the Eve tribe was the fashion director, every day I would watch her like a stalker, totally obsessed with her outfits and how she wore them.  I wore suits for work, so the jeans and sequin tops with converse trainers were quite a shock.  She was in her mid 40s, perma tanned with thick waist length dark hair.  She had a definite 'look' of skinny jeans and embroidered/sequin/lace tops with flat shoes or wedges to avoid looking like a Liz Hurley wannabe.







Everyone did a version of the look, some added bootcut jeans or higher heels or more fitted tops, depending on their body shape.  I started to try it on my days off and found that it suited my build, decent legs, big tummy, men's shoulders.  It accentuated the good, and feminised or hid the bad.

There was nothing too show-y off-y about the look, the bags were always just nice leather, understated, no label in sight, day time sequins and floaty silk tops were toned down with minimal accessories and beaten up leather.
The pretty, comfortable, simple style permeated into everything that they did, I would often see the homes of various members of the team featured in the interiors articles and the look was always sunny, natural, pretty and cosy.
Of course there were flowers scattered through out the pages....
 The home makeovers focused on small spaces that could be made special without involving every member of the family or a huge budget to achieve the end result...
 Growing your own veg was always the ultimate luxury and aspiration...
 There were lots of 'how I changed my life' features, people who had left high pressured jobs to run a b and b in France or a pub in the UK, or even just opened a cafe in their local park....



 There wasn't much about expensive luxuries and going out to foodie destinations, it was more about entertaining at home and making simple things beautiful...



It's definitely my style rut and that 2 week period has probably had more influence on my tastes than any other time of my life.  What are your style constants and is there a reason for why you stick to them? Or are you Madonna-style able to cast everything off and start afresh when the time comes?


11 comments:

  1. That was such a soothing post, it was all so lovely.
    Hmm, I think for me more than anything, it's "big hair" I have really thin, fine hair and have been wearing it sleek and flat for months now in an attempt to look modern, but nop, don't care if I look like a scrunched 80's teenager, I'm gittin' the diffuser back out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always loved the diffused look, it is like you have come straight off the beach, or the ultimate sexy bed hair. Go for it! If only I had enough hair to do it, I need to clip in extra to get anything close to the look!

      Delete
  2. I agree with the last comment. What a lovely post! I think at this stage, I've learnt what does and doesn't suit me. As much as I love many of the trends, I know that a more classic cut looks best on me. Also, having psoriasis lends it's own problems, so I'm often constrained in what I want to wear. But yeah ... if I'd worked with someone like that, I've no doubt but that it would have left a lasting impression also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a happy to place and to me the whole look was like realising that life can be kind after all, so I associate two together, and have a huge dislike of chrome and black leather (that was the male orientated place that I worked).

      Delete
  3. Great post. I really wish I had bought this magazine, it sounds like the kind of mag I would have loved x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was owned by the BBC and then got bought out, but I'm not sure if the new owners ever really 'got' it, and luxury advertisers probably struggled with messages like 'you don't need louboutin shoes to feel amazing'! Funny thing is, it is bang on the money for the Zeitgeist now.

      Delete
  4. Oh I really enjoyed that..... Sounds like it was a lovely place to work, I vaguely remember the magazine. Oh I have changed by style over the years, going with trends....not all great, but think the simple non fussy styles suit me best now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a shame it didn't keep going, although I guess it was a little more like a blog than a glossy magazine, so might have struggled to compete now.

      Delete
  5. I just can't bring myself to change my hair. Its been the same straight, past the shoulder style forever. Recently, however, I actually managed to stop with the chronic "all black" look that I wore in my New York days. So over black!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like to have a read of Red Magazine every now and then. I am always drawn to it by its glossy bright cover. Have to agree about British Vogue although I still by the Sept. issue. Growing up in Australia I used to get American Vogue and Seventeen Magazine from a very young age and loved the fashions in American Vogue as they always seemed more laid back and not trying to hard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My world was all black, black trousers, black shirts, black jackets, thick black tights, it was so boring and yet a uniform at the time. This was why Eve was such a shock to me, people wore white jeans and converse shoes to work and were still taken seriously!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you and quite happy for some lively debate so feel free to say what you think! ....